We would like to hear from you. If you have recipes, poems, drawings, or any area news please submit them to the GROW Branch center. Submissions should be mailed to GROW in America, ATTN: Community, PO BOX 3667, Champaign IL 61826 or by e-mail to email@example.com
Submissions will be reviewed and GROW does reserve the right to post or not post any submissions and to edit submissions for posting.
Robert's Famous Carrot Cake
My Brother had won awards for this cake recipe. He has since moved on. I am sharing his recipe in his honor.
2.5 cups of "All Purpose Flour"
1/4 tsp of Salt
2 tsp of Baking Powder
3 tsp of Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
2 cups of Sugar
1.5 cups of Vegetable Oil
1 cup of Chopped Pecans
2 cups of Shredded Carrots
1 cup of Raisins
1. Combine and sift all Dry Ingredients
2. Whisk eggs, oil and sugar.
3. Add Shredded Carrots and Vanilla or Brandy
4. Cook Raisins in the Vanilla or Brandy
5. Toss in dry ingredients
6. Fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
7. Grease and Flour 2 9" cake pans or bundt pans
8. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until center springs back up when you touch the middle of the cake
9. Put icing in between the two cakes and on top of the two cakes.
GROW in New Jersey
The walk shuffles each step cautiously took
The walk of peace is alert mentally
The sand 'bout the foot the Earth it has shook
Oh! the difficult walk of business
Scratch they busy-ness keep it here and now.
Balancing equilibrium of "guess"
Trick or no trick justification... "how"
The finish line on the path aint quite clear
The distant future is unending, there
The anchored weight we hold is our gear
Heaven'll greet ya for the walks the fare
This poem was written by Kathy Murphy. She is the new Organizer of our community group at the Freedom Trails Community Wellness Center in Somerville,New Jersey. It can be found in her publication “The Wannabee Lyrics Poetry Book” on page four.